- What is the Right Age to Become a Travel Nurse? – http://t.co/s6f7M0OF #
- Rank Travel Nursing Companies Here #travelingnurse http://t.co/9wIRgjeq #
- The Latest in Travel Nursing News http://t.co/fYNHowzm #
- Got a question about Travel RN? Ask it here! http://t.co/CvSyQmTf #
- Be a traveling nurse with a family http://t.co/hVhxYBcI #
- Nursing Wellness: Top 8 Exercise Tips for Fall http://t.co/8E6spz2L #
- What is your biggest challenge as a Travel Nurse? http://t.co/bbAW3AqS #
- The latest in Travel Nursing News http://t.co/xn9pACW2 #
- Contracts in Travel Nursing http://t.co/XTdmFNWq # travelingnurse #
- Rank Travel Nursing Companies http://t.co/SdYbaSV3 #
- 5 Signs that a Travel Nurse Needs a Vacation http://t.co/clWWdKn4 #
- Travel Nurse housing postings http://t.co/YLVOJw8n #
- Travel Nursing News http://t.co/ZcWPxa67 #
- Travel Nurse Links http://t.co/Vy8qqCw7 #
- Nursing Board Licensure – Travel Nursing Central http://t.co/bh4f4ngK #
- Travel Nurse Advice, Ask a question here. http://t.co/q6aytt54 #
- Find a Travel Nurse Recruiters http://t.co/eoPO2PjL #
When inquiring what the average yearly salary is for a travel nurse, the answer is : it depends. Many travel nurses do not work assignment to assignment, but instead take a month off in between to re-group. Why? Mostly because they can and have the freedom to do so. Also, salaries vary on the different parts of the country. So when figuring out the pay for travel nurses, it is better to ask what the average hourly wage is, instead of what is the average yearly salary.
So the question at hand, what is the average hourly wage of a travel nurse? $29-$40/ hour (payscale.com) The coasts being the higher end of the average, since they have higher costs of living.
There are some things to consider when negotiating your pay with the travel nurse company. Some companies might provide a higher wage per hour, but may not offer benefits like paid housing, travel reimbursement and/or health insurance. Those that offer lower wage per hour, usually offer more benefits, which keep you from paying more out of pocket and benefit you more in the long run. So while you may be making less an hour, you actually would be going home with more money. These are things you need to make sure to ask and confirm with your recruiter, before you sign your contract.
Remember; do not brush off an assignment because it has a lower salary. Be sure to inquire why it has a lower salary and what benefits are included.
You’ve had two major dreams in your life: to be a traveling nurse and to have a family. You’re at the stage in life where you’ve reached both goals (congrats!) but unfortunately, you have no idea how to balance them or if having a family is even possible at this stage. Lucky for you, we can help you decide.
Moving your kids from town to town on a constant basis may not be the best idea. They will end up with little sense of permanency and will have difficulties in establishing long-term friendships. However, if your family consists of you and a spouse or you and a sibling, you can see if the other person is willing to travel with you around the country or state. If he or she can work from home, this might be a possibility!
A Constant Presence
When children are a part of the equation, this situation becomes much harder. There are all types of family dynamics, but your children will have to adjust to you not being around all of the time. You should make sure there is someone who is, though. For example, it’s best if your spouse has a job where he or she is frequently home when the children are let out of school. This situation could also work if there is another family member, such as a grandmother or an aunt, who is living with the children.
Traveling nurse positions are usually signed on a contract basis, so you do have some amount of say in when you want to work. If you have just finished a tour of being a traveling nurse and the holidays are approaching, consider taking some time off. You’ll be able to spend those precious holiday moments with your children, and you might even consider doing this every year. Of course, this isn’t financially possible for all families. If that is the case with yours, send a special present or card to your little ones. Have a celebration when you return home at the end of your position as a traveling nurse.
Use the Internet
Fortunately, distance gaps are becoming smaller with the use of the Internet. Use programs such as Skype to read a book to your child or to sit down and watch a movie together with your spouse. You can always email and Facebook family members, but it’s nice to have this face-to-face interaction too. If you cannot be together for the holidays, have someone Skype you in to watch your children open presents. You can literally join in at any time that works for you and your schedule. (If children are using social media to connect with you, be sure that they meet the age requirements to do so.)
Being a traveling nurse and balancing family life is difficult. After a few rounds at various hospitals, you might decide that this is not the life for you. However, if you stick with it, you can use these tips to always stay in touch with the people you call family.
- Browse Travel Nurse Housing – New ads daily! http://t.co/lxcd3Szf #
- Top Travel Nursing News http://t.co/U0UGd9HF #
- Dating and Travel Nursing – Travel Nursing Central http://t.co/dNRZTIfz #
- Can you Change Travel Nurse Specialties While on Assignment – Travel Nursing Central http://t.co/YAzKyIyg #
- Find Travel Nurse Housing here! http://t.co/UAGEr5UY #
- Travel Nursing Checklists- Travel Tools http://t.co/KXMnQE4l #
- How To Get A Travel Nursing Job http://t.co/NLLGbHBG #
- Find Housing for your next assignment! http://t.co/bzWyaBRH #
- Nursing Board Licensure – Travel Nursing Central http://t.co/L8vlMJHQ #
- Travel Nursing Survey-What do you like least about your recruiter? http://t.co/FakZ6tfT #
- RT @msmedstaffing: “Find the Football” Scavenger Hunt. Win $200 Gift Card to http://t.co/1j9BuUW4 #msfootballhunt http://t.co/2NqCsFUh #
- Characteristics of a Travel Nurse – Travel Nursing Central: http://t.co/u10oUpao #
- Ask A Travel Nurse Recruiter: How negotiable are travel nursing contracts? http://t.co/tW92tMiR #
- Traveling Nurses to Benefit Under the New Healthcare Reform Says Travel Nurse Across America http://t.co/Y143YMuf #
After reviewing hundreds of websites, Pacific Medical Training honored Travel Nursing Central with the “Best of Nursing Sites” Award. Our site was selected because it fulfilled a combination of the following:
We’d like to thank Pacific Medical Training for honoring us with this great recognition and are happy to provide great content for travel nurses everywhere.
- Let’s Talk About Scrubs! http://t.co/0QccRjGn #
- Trave Nursing Housing: Which Is Best? http://t.co/J0mxPh6O #
- Travel Nursing Checklists http://t.co/gwSmfzTV #
- Why Travel Nursing Will See Tremendous Growth in the Next Ten Years http://t.co/u7SrEJTu #
- Travel Nurse Dating 101 http://t.co/4UEBRUnB #
- Rank Hospitals – Travel Nursing Central http://t.co/yDIqn7Rf #
- Travel Nursing Survey- What do you like least about your recruiter? http://t.co/yzrpaP9I #
- Keep up with the latest Travel Nurse Company News http://t.co/W9jnWgE5 #