Travel Nursing Hospital
ranking will be averaged and updated on a continual basis. The highest score for
a hospital is 100.
Travel Nursing Hospital Review of: Downey Medical Center
Feel free to rank any
hospital. You are not limited to the ones below.
(within 1 year)
|1. Friendliness and acceptance of travelers by staff||2.2||2.0|
|2. How open are they to allowing you to expand your skills while traveling?||1.5||1.0|
|3. Hospital Technology||3||1.0|
|4. Location (A nice area to live)||2.2||4.0|
|5. Cafeteria food||2.7||4.0|
|7. Physical layout of hospital effecient||3.2||1.0|
|8. Hospital appeal (looks)||3.2||1.0|
|9. Hospital orientation geared toward travelers?||2.5||1.0|
|10. Simplicity being initiated into the system (Do you have to do lots of unneccessary paperwork, drug testing, criminal background checks, etc. in addition to what the agency requires before you can start working?)||1.2||1.0|
|11. Reputation of the hospital||1.7||1.0|
|12. How nice are the doctors to staff||2.8||3.0|
|13. Friendliness of staffing office||3.2||3.0|
|14. Happy with the work scheduling procedure?||2.3||1.0|
|15. How efficient is their system so you can get your job done?||2.5||1.0|
|16. Adequacy of their nurse to patient ratio||3||3.0|
|17. How well staffed are they||2.5||3.0|
|18. How happy were you with your workload?||2.3||3.0|
|19. Staff morale (overall)||1.7||1.0|
|20. To what extent would you recommend this hospital to other travelers?||1.5||1.0|
|Total Score (number or rankings)||48.7(6)||39.0(1)|
Return to top of page
- I worked in the ICU department(s) in the hospital. Worst hospital I've ever worked at. They have carpeted floors in the units, disgusting infection risk. There's no barcode scanning for medication administration, You pull the med from the omnicell and just click that you administered it no safety checks whatsoever. The ICU director was rude and awful to travelers, however she was fired about halfway through my contract. I was one of 3 travelers who all started at the same time and the other 2 travelers quit before finishing their contracts thanks to the working conditions. 0/10 would not recommend to my worst enemy. 01/23/2021 Housing was approximately N/A mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was N/A. Housing was located in city of N/A. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 5. I commuted
- I worked in the ICU department(s) in the hospital. I was hired and promised ICU nights. However, I was only in ICU once every 2 weeks. Tele, and med surge patients were as one would expect. Charting is redundant and excessive. CNA's were hit or miss but I made friends with one on a Tele floor. ICU has no CNA. One provider and one on call at nights that covers ICU, DOU, ER. effectively 1 doc for 250-ish beds. Not safe. RN's to enter some orders I was told to enter orders for palliative extubation and PRN's. had to refuse got yelled at by MD. reccived a ER admit that was actively septic and decompensating, I am ACLS certified I attempted to activate ACLS protocol, I was stopped by med surge RN charge because they "don't do that" on their floor. arrived early to research patient assignment, Charge RN prevented me from looking at assignment, sure enough it was the worst assignment, refused assignment had to talk to house supervisor. Patient losing airway and increasing AMS, called RT just applied non-rebreather got sats to 90% at 20Liters said it was ok, called provider said it was ok. CT/MRI is not staffed on night weekends.I reported this facility for unsafe practice. Not everyone was bad, some nice people here and there. My experience was probably the worst ever. Many other Travelers had experiences that were not like mine, they all said that I just had bad luck. 01/18/2019 Housing was approximately .5 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Air BNB. Housing was located in city of downey. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 2.
- I worked in the ICU (float pool) department(s) in the hospital. As an ICU travel nurse, I expected to float to all units. I did just that. Actually, the Med/Surg Tele units were my favorite! They have break nurses who do your blood sugars and when they have CNAs not sitting, they do your vitals. Nightshift is more friendly than dayshift. The dayshift nurses (and ICU charges) are mean. From day one I didn't like them. But I did my job. Kaiser is very strict with how you do things, if you don't do them their way, you get in trouble. As the staff says, "It's the Kaiser way". I had experience with EPIC so that wasn't too bad. I feel like Kaiser took out my brain and put in a processor. Kaiser pays the best around, but it comes at a price. 11/14/2018 Housing was approximately na mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was na. Housing was located in city of na. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 2. I found my own housing. Downey (and surrounding areas) are not the greatest, there are some neighborhoods better than others.
- I worked in the Tele department(s) in the hospital. Primary care nursing and no help. They have CNA's and sometimes they do VS but thats it, still not sure where they hide but they do not do pt care at all.Unrealistic charting, pt's fall all the time. Lots of micromanaging. Many white coats walking around telling you to don't forget to chart this or that and not enough direct pt care givers. Very poor staff morale, lots of travelers. 03/20/2017 Housing was approximately 10 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Mirbrisa. Housing was located in city of Long Beach. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 4. Housing was decent and in a safe area.
- I worked in the Labor and delivery department(s) in the hospital. Too many differing shifts, charge nurses made assignments BEFORE getting report. Other travelers were helpful (there were a lot) but staff isn't. Unsafe situations. 12/09/2016 Housing was approximately 10 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Valerie Olienyk. Housing was located in city of Long Beach. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 4.
- I worked in the PACU department(s) in the hospital. The PACU was nice and some of the nurses were nice. The majority however were not welcoming and difficult to work with. 01/02/2013 Housing was approximately 9 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Extended Stay La Mirada. Housing was located in city of La Mirada. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 2. It was an extended stay hotel which I felt was in a safe location. However there was no pool, fitness center and an inadequate amount of laundry facilities. The rooms themselves were small with only weekly housekeeping and small kitchen.
Click here for advertising info