Travel Nursing Hospital
ranking will be averaged and updated on a continual basis. The highest score for
a hospital is 100.
Travel Nursing Hospital Review of: San Mateo County Hospital
Feel free to rank any
hospital. You are not limited to the ones below.
(within 1 year)
|1. Friendliness and acceptance of travelers by staff||3.8||1.0|
|2. How open are they to allowing you to expand your skills while traveling?||4||2.0|
|3. Hospital Technology||3||2.0|
|4. Location (A nice area to live)||3.2||3.0|
|5. Cafeteria food||2.8||3.0|
|7. Physical layout of hospital effecient||3.2||3.0|
|8. Hospital appeal (looks)||2.8||1.0|
|9. Hospital orientation geared toward travelers?||3.8||1.0|
|10. Simplicity being initiated into the system (Do you have to do lots of unneccessary paperwork, drug testing, criminal background checks, etc. in addition to what the agency requires before you can start working?)||4||5.0|
|11. Reputation of the hospital||3||1.0|
|12. How nice are the doctors to staff||5||5.0|
|13. Friendliness of staffing office||3.5||1.0|
|14. Happy with the work scheduling procedure?||4.8||5.0|
|15. How efficient is their system so you can get your job done?||4||3.0|
|16. Adequacy of their nurse to patient ratio||5||5.0|
|17. How well staffed are they||4.8||5.0|
|18. How happy were you with your workload?||4.8||5.0|
|19. Staff morale (overall)||4.2||3.0|
|20. To what extent would you recommend this hospital to other travelers?||3.8||1.0|
|Total Score (number or rankings)||75.5(4)||56.0(1)|
Return to top of page
- I worked in the Medical Surgical department(s) in the hospital. Charting wise they use this old version of Cerner called Soarian which isn't terribly difficult to use, but very old. The patient ratio is anywhere from 1:3, 1:4, 1:5. Tele monitoring is required and they have don't have telemetry techs, so you better be observant or mindful of your patients when they're on it as no one else will really be letting you know if anything happens on that end. They do have CNAs, but they were a hit or miss. They can't do vitals or blood sugars, so all they really can do is ADLs, but some of them wouldn't even do that as I routinely would find my CNA hiding. Doctors were very nice which was a surprise. I worked 5 days a week (40 hour work week) which wasn't horrible, but the 3-11 shifts got old. They were good with scheduling. Parking is awful as there's only street parking available and a parking lot that's always full. But they do have a valet service for the parking lot. The hospital is in a residential park of San Mateo, so not much around for food that doesn't require a drive. Now to the reason this place was awful for me.
1. Forget about having the same patients if you work your days in a row. I would routinely have different patients every day. I pointed it out once and the charge nurse looked at me like she could have not cared less.
2. CNAs are useless as they're always hiding and don't do vitals here. They also can't chart any of the I&Os they collect, so they'll maybe hand them to you for you to chart.
3. The staff is very much a clique. It's the place where I first learned the term Filipino mafia, so make what you will of that, but a lot of the staff was very much rude to me, would have overdue tasks from like 7am waiting for me at 3pm, and one day I even had a patient fall on me and no one came to help me until I managed to hit the code blue button while holding a patient on me. Reported that to the nursing supervisor at the time and not much happened.
4. This is the only contract I've ever had in my three years as a travel nurse in which I was cancelled. The manager saw me getting report outside of a patient's room and proceeded to approach me and start yelling to me about that. Now mind you I hadn't even met her and it was week 9/13. She asked for my name and cancelled me the next day. Which was fine as I started hating coming to work there. 02/09/2021 Housing was approximately 5 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Apartment. Housing was located in city of San Mateo . On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 5. Be prepared to pay a LOT. San Mateo is expensive and traffic isn't the best.
- I worked in the ED department(s) in the hospital. One of the best travel assignments I have had to this date. staff great. nurse to patio ratios 1:4. mostly Spanish speaking population, use of the language line. charge nurses are great. doctors are great. 1 hr lunch break with relief nurses. county hospital so you see a lot of homeless individuals and those without insurance. a lot of psych and 5150's. there a separate area next to the ER called PES- psych emergency services. PD is also here a lot for medical clearance before taking individuals to jail. its a lot of stupidity, like high blood pressure, but this is after the person fought and cursed the whole way to the jail. they do hold patients in the ER sometimes- so you are a ER, ICU, and Med/Surg nurse. there is one parking lot in the front of the hospital for patients. their is street parking- but its for 2 hrs and there are people who walk around and write tickets if you have been there over two hrs. there is a large parking lot in the back of the hospital, but there is rarely parking there as well. free parking is few and if you do find free parking, it will be a few blocks from the hospital and in front of someone's house. there is a neighborhood directly across the street from the hospital and this is where the free parking and the a lot of the 2 hr parking is. 05/27/2017 Housing was approximately 29 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was San Jose. Housing was located in city of San Jose. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 5. Living in San Mateo is ridiculous such as $1,500-2,000 per month for a studio apartment. a lot of people who live in this area, rent rooms out of their home. I did this in Oakland and it worked out well because everyone had their on separate private entrance.
- I worked in the Emergency Room department(s) in the hospital. If you love the out doors and water this place is awesome. There are hiking trails every where you look and it is 25 minutes south of San Francisco. I chose my own housing and a room to rent ranges from $1,100 and up. Me being the cheap guy that I, am I found housing north of Oakland for $760 but the drive is about an hour.. totally worth the saving though. 04/23/2017 Housing was approximately 5> mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Provided my own.. Housing was located in city of San Pablo. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 5. Super friendly to travelers, night staff is amazing, all the doctors are great to work with. The docs have scribes, the ER has 2 video Language Line iPads with over 20 languages. And the breakfast burritos... oh hell yah!!!
- I worked in the ER department(s) in the hospital. There are a lot of travelers. Staff and Physicians are all accepting and welcome travelers. Fun level 3 Hospital to work at. No L 05/17/2016 Housing was approximately Na mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Na. Housing was located in city of Redwood . On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 4. Was a month to month rental. Expect increased rental rates in the Bay Area
Click here for advertising info