Travel Nursing Hospital
ranking will be averaged and updated on a continual basis. The highest score for
a hospital is 100.
Travel Nursing Hospital Review of: Kingwood Medical Center
Feel free to rank any
hospital. You are not limited to the ones below.
(within 1 year)
|1. Friendliness and acceptance of travelers by staff||3.2||4.0|
|2. How open are they to allowing you to expand your skills while traveling?||2.5||3.0|
|3. Hospital Technology||1.8||4.0|
|4. Location (A nice area to live)||3.1||4.0|
|5. Cafeteria food||2.2||2.0|
|7. Physical layout of hospital effecient||2.4||4.0|
|8. Hospital appeal (looks)||2.9||4.0|
|9. Hospital orientation geared toward travelers?||2.1||3.0|
|10. Simplicity being initiated into the system (Do you have to do lots of unneccessary paperwork, drug testing, criminal background checks, etc. in addition to what the agency requires before you can start working?)||2.5||4.0|
|11. Reputation of the hospital||1.5||3.0|
|12. How nice are the doctors to staff||3||4.0|
|13. Friendliness of staffing office||2.6||4.0|
|14. Happy with the work scheduling procedure?||2.8||4.0|
|15. How efficient is their system so you can get your job done?||1.3||4.0|
|16. Adequacy of their nurse to patient ratio||1.9||5.0|
|17. How well staffed are they||1.4||4.0|
|18. How happy were you with your workload?||1.5||5.0|
|19. Staff morale (overall)||1.5||4.0|
|20. To what extent would you recommend this hospital to other travelers?||1.4||4.0|
|Total Score (number or rankings)||44.3(11)||78.0(1)|
Return to top of page
- I worked in the Surgery department(s) in the hospital. I worked in surgery on 3-11pm shift. In one week I had 3 codes in the operating room. It was me the tech, the anesthesia and a resident cause the surgeon had left. I pushed the code blue button on the wall and felt like I had the entire hospital in surgery to help me! I loved this place. As long as you’re a seasoned nurse it’s a great place to work in surgery. 10/21/2019 Housing was approximately 30 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Found my own. Housing was located in city of Houston . On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 4. Fabulous place that caters to travelers
- I worked in the Med/Surg department(s) in the hospital. All I can say is run. Reading the other travelers experience at this place I am glad to see that it wasn’t just me. This hospital is very unsafe. They tried to send a patient from the ER to a Med/Surg floor with a BP of 205/108, BS 799 and no IV access because the patient weighed almost 700 lbs and no one in the ER could start an IV on him. The whole unit was travel nurses. They had like 1 or 2 full time nurses but even the charge nurse was a travel nurse. I worked night shift and came behind a nurse that didn’t scan his patient medication. The medication included a 2 bag mag run and a 3 bag potassium run. He swore that he had given the medication but nothing was scanned or documented and he refused to go back and documented that he had given this medication. This place is a disaster waiting to happen. I got out of there and saved my license. 02/06/2019 Housing was approximately NA mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was NA. Housing was located in city of NA. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 1. NA
- I worked in the Med Surg Tele department(s) in the hospital. HOrribly understaffed. My first experience with an HCA hospital. All I can say is RUN. 6 plus patients per nurse and often no tech. unit orientation was 4 hours. Staff turnover is tremendous. Not friendly, not safe. 09/05/2016 Housing was approximately 20 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was none. Housing was located in city of Houston. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 1. I stayed in an Extended Stay hotel. Not bad, but not good either.
- I worked in the ER department(s) in the hospital. THE MONEY WAS GREAT, THE WORKLOAD WAS PRETTY BRUTAL. LOTS OF IN PATIENT HOLDS IN THE ER. LOTS OF PATIENTS IN HALLWAY BEDS, SOMETIMES YOU HAD INPATIENTS FOR AN ENTIRE 12 HOUR SHIFT. THE REGULAR STAFF WAS NICE, BUT AT LEAST 50-60% WERE ALSO TRAVELERS. NOT TOO MANY REGULAR STAFF TO USE AS A RESOURCE OR ASK QUESTIONS 04/23/2016 Housing was approximately 10 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was RENTED A ROOM. Housing was located in city of HUMBLE, TX. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 5.
- I worked in the ED department(s) in the hospital. 04/21/2016 The name of the housing complex was Na. Housing was located in city of Houston. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 5. Worse place ever to work. First assignment and I'm glad it's over I literally dreaded going there everyday and wanted to call out. Very unsafe l give the high patient acuity nurses should only have 3 patients. I wouldn't work here again for 2 grand a week!!! Triple the amount of travelers compared to staff. No team work...beware!!!
- I worked in the ED department(s) in the hospital. This hospital is unsafe for patients and your license. There are rooms without monitors, patients are sometimes in hallway beds for hours until admitted or discharged (even those with tele orders). Patients get placed in rooms with no report given, not placed on monitor. You may get 4 new patients at a time with no help. More travelers than staff. However, was told they are trying to cut down on travelers. Most charge nurses are travelers, some of whom have no experience as charge. Plenty of psych patient with 1 psych safe room, sometimes no sitters. 2 doctors for 32 rooms. 4:1 nurse to patient ratio. One good thing is there is a 'triage room' where most walk in patients get IV started and labs drawn before coming to an ED bed. Some patients are discharged from this room so you never get level 4-5 in ED room. 04/02/2016 Housing was approximately 50 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was private housing. Housing was located in city of La Marque. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 5. .
- I worked in the emergency department(s) in the hospital. This was my first travel assignment and I took it because of the money offered which was great. BUT, this ER is extremely unsafe and puts your license at risk. I come from a home hospital that was much bigger and supposedly more risky than this one, but with 2 weeks left in my assignment, I can say Kingwood is definitely the most unsafe place to work in the ER. Doctors are friendly and most a good but others practice HORRIBLE medicine and the charge nurses and director turn their heads. Not to mention, the majority of charge nurses are travelers that were thrown into the mix at the last minute because they don't have the staffing and such a high turnover. Psych patients are frequent and without sitters which means high elopement rates ... scary. I will give them this .. their acuity is very high here and (except for when there are multiple call outs) the nurse to patient ratio stays at 1:4 which is nice although no thought is given to distributing patients based on acuity to nurses so you could even end up with 2 ICU patients and 2 step downs with little to no help. Travelers beware! It's a scary place to work. 03/28/2016 Housing was approximately 27 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was private housing. Housing was located in city of houston. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 5.
- I worked in the ER department(s) in the hospital. This hospital was terrible. I felt bad for patients, they would often have to sit and wait for hours. The community has obviously outgrown this hospital. While it looks nice, management is horrible. They aren't concerned about patient care and patient safety, just their numbers. Morale is very low at this facility and there is a huge turnover with staffing. There are more contract nurses than staff. Patients tend to wait in the ER hours once admitted, then once report is called they wait 2-3 more hours for the rooms to be cleaned. Speaking of, environmental services doesn't clean the rooms in the ED, the nurse does. They'll very well check the trash but they will not clean the beds. I do not recommend this hospital to anyone!!! 10/13/2015 The name of the housing complex was private housing. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 1. I chose this hospital because I have friends who live nearby and chose to stay with friends.
- I worked in the ER department(s) in the hospital. This is a very disorganized understaffed facility and the morale of the staff is very low. Understandably considering how they are treated. No one cares. Management is not concerned with good patient care or safety or cleanliness of the hospital. They facilitate importance on trivial things like white boards and home med recs. The flow of this facility is very arduous. Patients stay in the ER for 15-20 hours on a good day. A LOT OF contract staff including doctors. After calling report the patient can stay in the ER for additional 2-3 hours waiting for the bed/ room to be cleaned. EVS staff do not clean the ER rooms at all. EVER. Medetech is horrible antiquated not user friendly DOS system. I would not recommend this facility to patients as well as staff. They don’t pay overtime for holidays except Thanksgiving and Christmas. They mandatory overtime for their staff. They don’t have enough computers for you to actually sit and chart. Your expected to do so in the room so ultimately your expected to be on your feet the entire shift unless your in the bathroom or on you ½ hour break. If you actually get one. No one to take your patients when you go on break most times. I keep very detailed records on the patients I care for because of the lack of care or ability to care for them. They are dropped off in a room and left there. No report given not on a monitor. Nothing. The pay was too good to pass up, but knowing what I do now, I would not have signed 07/24/2015 Housing was approximately 14 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Private house rented by me. Housing was located in city of Huffman. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 5.
- I worked in the med-surg department(s) in the hospital. I worked at this hospital for 13 weeks. I was bounced to 8 different units in this time, often having to take and give report to 3 plus nurses. This slowed down the beginning of your shift and kept you there a minimum of 30-45 minutes after your shift was over. The management's only seeming concern was keeping the white boards updated, not patient care or pain control or education. The staff there was friendly and accepting, they were grateful for the help. I went home most nights angry and frustrated that I could run as fast as I could and strive to be efficent and still only manage to give mediocre care due to the high workload and constant short staffing. The computer system is an outdated meditech system that will curl your toes to use. I would not recommend this facility to anyone. 07/02/2015 Housing was approximately 7 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was foxwood apartments. Housing was located in city of Humble. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 2. I found the housing for myself and neg a 3 month lease for approx 1100/month.
- I worked in the Medical North department(s) in the hospital. Orientation is a week long. Then you have 2 days with a preceptor. During orientation you have to pass an EKG test and a medication test. A lot of healthstream too. HCA affiliated hospital so you will use meditech. Working at night if you are lucky you have 1 tech. 6:1 patient ratio. A lot of travelers and agency utilized at this facility. Everything feels disorganized and most of the time I feel like a middle man. There is no secretary ever. You will find that you do several jobs at once - nurse, tech, tele monitor tech, secretary. They do not have centralized tele here. Charge nurse can take patients. Feels like doctors don't communicate with each other, we call the consults. Nice area in Houston overall, but I feel like my license is on the line. Nobody ever knows what is clearly going on with the patients and the patients themselves complain about their care. 04/11/2015 Housing was approximately 5 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Town Center. Housing was located in city of Kingwood. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 3. Housing is adequate. Next a cute town center. I have 2 dogs and they have enough areas to walk. Parking is first come first serve basis. 1 bed/1 bath. Apartment had a peculiar smell but no bugs seen. Houston is nearby, but stayed mostly in kingwood.
Click here for advertising info