Travel Nursing Hospital
ranking will be averaged and updated on a continual basis. The highest score for
a hospital is 100.
Travel Nursing Hospital Review of: valley Regional Medical Center
Feel free to rank any
hospital. You are not limited to the ones below.
(within 1 year)
|1. Friendliness and acceptance of travelers by staff||2.9||3.0|
|2. How open are they to allowing you to expand your skills while traveling?||2.6||3.0|
|3. Hospital Technology||2.2||3.0|
|4. Location (A nice area to live)||2.5||2.0|
|5. Cafeteria food||2.2||1.0|
|7. Physical layout of hospital effecient||2.9||3.0|
|8. Hospital appeal (looks)||3||3.0|
|9. Hospital orientation geared toward travelers?||2.6||3.0|
|10. Simplicity being initiated into the system (Do you have to do lots of unneccessary paperwork, drug testing, criminal background checks, etc. in addition to what the agency requires before you can start working?)||2.1||1.0|
|11. Reputation of the hospital||2.2||2.0|
|12. How nice are the doctors to staff||1.9||3.0|
|13. Friendliness of staffing office||3.1||2.0|
|14. Happy with the work scheduling procedure?||2.4||2.0|
|15. How efficient is their system so you can get your job done?||2||2.0|
|16. Adequacy of their nurse to patient ratio||1.9||1.0|
|17. How well staffed are they||1.4||1.0|
|18. How happy were you with your workload?||2.1||1.0|
|19. Staff morale (overall)||2.2||2.0|
|20. To what extent would you recommend this hospital to other travelers?||2.2||2.0|
|Total Score (number or rankings)||47.6(8)||42.0(1)|
Return to top of page
- I worked in the Labor and Delivery department(s) in the hospital. This hospital has a lot of travelers and is busy. It's about 10 minutes or so from the border. It's an HCA hospital so expect to do the millions of health stream modules and meditech. The pt ratio is high. I always felt like my unit was unsafe because we were short staffed. I worked in l&d so it's like the ER for the preggos and you can never know what can walk in. Both because we didn't have enough nurses scheduled for the day or because the extra nurse was sent home. Travelers are also the first ones to float.
The area I stayed in was safe but I was advised from the staff not to go out at night to places too close to the border or cross over to Mexico. There are several places w/ great food and you're about 45min. away from the beach and South Padre Island. 01/29/2018 Housing was approximately 20 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was rented home. Housing was located in city of San Benito. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 3. Housing was rented from a friend. I had all the necessities needed and no problems.
- I worked in the ER department(s) in the hospital. This is a busy hospital. You will work hard. There are many travelers. The full time staff is very receptive to travelers. Depending on the shift and the day of the week, you may have a charge nurse that is good at delegating, and you may not. The orientation process is long and tedious. You must clock in/out on the timeclock, upstairs, and have someone sign off on your agency's timesheet. They hold many PCU and ICU patients. Depending on staffing, ER nurses may be responsible for caring for these patients. It isn't uncommon to have 1 ICU patient, 1 PCU patient, and 2 ER patients. This makes patient care very difficult. Despite these issues, the staff are friendly and helpful. If you do not know spanish, you will learn enough to care for your patients. Submersion ensures that. I would estimate 50-60% of patients speak no english. The area is beautiful. The beach is 21 miles away, with lots of things to do. I would recommend this facility under the caviat that you must enjoy a busy work day, and be open to learning spanish. 11/24/2016 Housing was approximately 3 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Value Place. Housing was located in city of Brownsville. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 3. The hotel was close, cheap, and had a kitchenette. I would spend a little more for a more comfortable room next time.
- I worked in the medsurg department(s) in the hospital. If you don't know Spanish,stay away.Patient ratio is too high,no one really talks to you,and when you ask a question most make you feel like an idiot for asking,Meditech is used for charting and it is horribily redundant, absolutely awful 10/06/2016 Housing was approximately 2 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Value Place. Housing was located in city of Brownsville. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 4. Good location,clean,full kitchen except oven,laundry facilities on site.
- I worked in the ICU department(s) in the hospital. This hospital is one of the poorest run/organized that I have ever seen. The critical care department treats travelers terribly, always floated to holding areas, always given the bad assignments. Doctors are terrible, there is no oversight or continuity of care, so patients end up staying forever and generally have poor outcomes. Nurses are not empowered to speak up or advocate for their patients. The doctors are still from the old days when nurses were treated as inferior. The main intensivist treats nurses, especially travelers terribly and won't call back most of the time. The charting and paperwork is very cumbersome and inefficient. Availability of supplies is always a problem. Management is not supportive of the nurses, the common solution to most problems is to just fire the nurse, even without looking into the contributing factors surrounding the problem. Staffing is always terrible, most days staff is stretched. Overall morale is very poor. 05/09/2016 Housing was approximately 35 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Isla Blanca RV Park. Housing was located in city of South Padre Island. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 4. We stayed in our RV at Isla Blanca State Park on South Padre Island. Easy drive to the hospital/ The island is beautiful with great beaches and restaurants.
- I worked in the ICU department(s) in the hospital. This was my first travel job in summer of '12. I loved the nursing and ancillary staff.. very down to earth and hard working. They are overworked however, management more concerned with numbers and statistics than staff and patient care. Don't get me started on the doctors.. although a couple of them were great, some treat staff terribly + are never there! (never there to assess their critical patients!!!) scheduling was horrible.. (management are two faced.. they're very pleasant.. until you're there then the act disappears) I liked the patient population, very family oriented, majority Spanish speaking only, but there's always someone around to help translate so it wasn't an issue. I wouldn't steer RN's away from here.. my advice is ADVOCATE, ADVOCATE, and ADVOCATE, and don't expect an easy assignment lol. 04/22/2014 Housing was approximately 7 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Sun Colony. Housing was located in city of Brownsville. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 3. Did my own housing, negotiated price and lease length. It was fairly clean. I felt vulnerable being in a small town and somewhat unsafe in the apt., but did not have any actual bad experiences.
- I worked in the medical department(s) in the hospital. the staff was not friendly it borded on hostility. the charge nurse would talk about you to others and while you stood there. I will never go there again. 03/06/2014 Housing was approximately 3 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was value place. Housing was located in city of brownsville. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 2.
- Housing was approximately 6 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was La Mansion. Housing was located in city of brownsville. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 4. 05/26/2013 n I worked in the post surgical department(s) in the hospital. I felt bad for the nurses, they had such a high work load and poor working conditions, there was no time for them to be helpful or nice.
- I worked in the ICU department(s) in the hospital. Doctors do not play a large part in the care of the critcally ill patients. They are not available after 2200, and if they do actually get back to u they will chew u out for bothering them while they were trying to sleep. Most of the MDs talk down to RNs and act as if we shou ld treat them as if they were God. The nursing staff and management are very friendly and welcoming. 04/11/2013 Housing was approximately 28 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Private. Housing was located in city of Port Isabel . On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 5. I chose my own housing, it was great! Right on the water, large pool and hot tub, very seasonal area, people are very happy to work with u on short term leases!
Click here for advertising info