Travel Nursing Hospital
ranking will be averaged and updated on a continual basis. The highest score for
a hospital is 100.
Travel Nursing Hospital Review of: Kaiser West LA
Feel free to rank any
hospital. You are not limited to the ones below.
(within 1 year)
|1. Friendliness and acceptance of travelers by staff||2.5||3.0|
|2. How open are they to allowing you to expand your skills while traveling?||1.7||1.0|
|3. Hospital Technology||2.7||1.0|
|4. Location (A nice area to live)||2.5||2.0|
|5. Cafeteria food||2.2||4.0|
|7. Physical layout of hospital effecient||2.5||2.0|
|8. Hospital appeal (looks)||3.3||3.0|
|9. Hospital orientation geared toward travelers?||2||1.0|
|10. Simplicity being initiated into the system (Do you have to do lots of unneccessary paperwork, drug testing, criminal background checks, etc. in addition to what the agency requires before you can start working?)||2.2||4.0|
|11. Reputation of the hospital||2.2||3.0|
|12. How nice are the doctors to staff||3.5||3.0|
|13. Friendliness of staffing office||2.3||3.0|
|14. Happy with the work scheduling procedure?||1.5||2.0|
|15. How efficient is their system so you can get your job done?||2.2||1.0|
|16. Adequacy of their nurse to patient ratio||4||3.0|
|17. How well staffed are they||3.2||1.0|
|18. How happy were you with your workload?||2.3||2.0|
|19. Staff morale (overall)||1.8||1.0|
|20. To what extent would you recommend this hospital to other travelers?||1.5||2.0|
|Total Score (number or rankings)||49.3(6)||45.0(1)|
Return to top of page
- I worked in the SPD department(s) in the hospital. Kaiser West LA was/is not all that it’s cracked up to be. My department was mainly made up of travelers. Even the “manager” and “educator” were travelers. They came into the department and made all of these drastic changes that brought the morale of the workers down. They also insisted that the travelers worked weekends and “odd jobs” unrelated to sterile processing. Not a place I would ever consider settling down at. 12/27/2017 Housing was approximately 12 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Extended Stay. Housing was located in city of Culver City. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 4. This was an extended stay that offered a small kitchenette and a large refrigerator. You are given a day where your room is to be cleaned weekly. There’s a mall close by (within walking distance) and a movie theater, Buffalo Wild Wings and Dave and Buster’s (within walking distance the opposite direction)
- I worked in the PCU department(s) in the hospital. My advice is STAY AWAY from assignments with AMN or Medical Express with Kaiser. My contract with Kaiser West LA abruptly ended due to me "not being a good fit." It is a highly political environment. The unionized nurses are treated well and are protected because they are with the union. You will be at kaisers mercy if you go there. They floated me to the 'Dungeon'- a med surg overflow unit with no pyxis and no dedicated unit secretary. Its like nursing in the dark ages and you get very little help. Thankfully i have my next move worked out but Medical Express shorted me on my last weeks time bonus ( two hundred dollars) and might end up keeping my apartment deposit (300). They are threatening me with charging me rent for the two weeks i have been here trying to figure out my next move after they keep low balling me with pitiful ambient offers in the city. The housing dept is threatening me with a charge of $1300 or so for housing after my contract got terminated WITHOUT Good cause. You have no protection with AMN or with Kaiser. Kaiser chews up its travelers and spits them out. i do not want to be negative but do want to warn others. Kaiser treats its travelers as cheap labor and many of them can float several times in a single shift. The staffing office is very disorganized and they constantly bug travelers for documentation and records which they already have. They cancel contracts frequently for no reason and their regular permanent nurses frequently bully travel nurses and their CNAs- many of them, really don't care and will down right refuse to help you turn your patients or help you with personal cares with your patients. They will say "let me finish my vital signs first" which is code for "Figure out your own situation and don't bother me." Kaiser cancels contracts for whatever whim they have and then the nurse is stuck with apartment fees to AMN. AMN and Kaiser both are merciless towards travelers. A few nice people, but not enough to make you happy or help you stay. Also, traffic is a bear and its overall a very competitive and expensive city to live in. Travel nurses are paid a fraction of what permanent nurses are paid at Kaiser and they absolutely will take advantage of travel nurses. I was bullied by nurses, physicians, and CNAs at this facility. My Department Administrator was mean and stand offish. I don't think she said hello to me in the whole 6 weeks I was there. She treated me like a bug. 04/03/2015 Housing was approximately 10 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Park West. Housing was located in city of Los Angeles. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 1. Park West was a nice place but it was so close to LAX- very noisy. Also, they need to do a better job of controlling the dog poop problem at the complex. Grateful I was able to have my large dog there, but there are some drawbacks.
- I worked in the CCU department(s) in the hospital. I have never been on the same unit twice in a row. I was floated to SD and MS. I will be on CCU one day, and SD or MS the next day. 02/27/2015 Housing was approximately 8 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Extended Stay. Housing was located in city of Culver City. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 3. Extended stay. Good area.
- I worked in the ICU department(s) in the hospital. Hospital management more concerned with paperwork than taking care of patients. No teamwork noted. Staff encouraged to turn other staff in for every little thing. 07/19/2014 Housing was approximately 3 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Dee's BnB. Housing was located in city of Culver City. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 4.
- I worked in the ICU department(s) in the hospital. This hospital is gracious to travelers with the exception of the staffing office. You don't dare ask for a day off during your assignment. In addition, you could be having a nice workshift with great patients that you have accessed and charted on....then another staff nurse comes in at...say....11 p.m......and her assignment is crappy. Well, the traveler takes over the crappy patients and the staff nurse gets the traveler's patients. Also, you will work a few hours per week that you will not be compensated for. You must go to the top of the hospital at the end of the hall to sign in and out every shift. You will not get paid for one minute past 30 minutes after shift end; and you will never get out that early. You likely won't even see the first nurse to give report to for 20 minutes post shift end. 01/20/2014 Housing was approximately 20 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was The arbors. Housing was located in city of Corona. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 2. The apartment complex was pretty pitiful. There was a murder at the complex during my stay.
- Housing was approximately 10 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Milano. Housing was located in city of North Hollywood. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 5. 03/24/2013
Click here for advertising info