Travel Nursing Hospital
ranking will be averaged and updated on a continual basis. The highest score for
a hospital is 100.
Travel Nursing Hospital Review of: Mercy Medical Center
Feel free to rank any
hospital. You are not limited to the ones below.
(within 1 year)
|1. Friendliness and acceptance of travelers by staff||3.9||5.0|
|2. How open are they to allowing you to expand your skills while traveling?||2.9||4.5|
|3. Hospital Technology||3||3.0|
|4. Location (A nice area to live)||3.1||1.5|
|5. Cafeteria food||2.3||2.0|
|7. Physical layout of hospital effecient||3.1||2.5|
|8. Hospital appeal (looks)||3.3||2.0|
|9. Hospital orientation geared toward travelers?||2.4||1.5|
|10. Simplicity being initiated into the system (Do you have to do lots of unneccessary paperwork, drug testing, criminal background checks, etc. in addition to what the agency requires before you can start working?)||2.4||3.5|
|11. Reputation of the hospital||2.7||2.5|
|12. How nice are the doctors to staff||4.1||5.0|
|13. Friendliness of staffing office||3.7||5.0|
|14. Happy with the work scheduling procedure?||2.7||2.0|
|15. How efficient is their system so you can get your job done?||3||3.0|
|16. Adequacy of their nurse to patient ratio||3.9||5.0|
|17. How well staffed are they||2.6||1.5|
|18. How happy were you with your workload?||3.4||3.5|
|19. Staff morale (overall)||2.9||3.0|
|20. To what extent would you recommend this hospital to other travelers?||2.6||2.0|
|Total Score (number or rankings)||61.3(7)||60.5(2)|
Return to top of page
- I worked in the Operating Room department(s) in the hospital. I have added this hospital to my "do not return" list. The manager and surgical services director seem to have no idea about surgery procedure and protocol. Manager did not know what CNOR stood for on my badge. MH emergency cart and logs are labeled "malignant HYPOthermia"...maybe they have bair huggers, warm saline, and succs stocked on it? There is no positive pressure in any of the OR suites. Manager expects to staff with half the required amount which turns into the OR nurse taking care of ICU overflow patients in PACU. I am not ICU trained and neither are the PACU nurses. Surgical tech gave the surgeon local anesthetic for a intraoperative cholangiogram instead of the dye---faulty labeling ICU staff did not know what a LMA is during an emergency. Schedule is not handled appropriately so be ready to work 14.5 hours with one pee break. Don't recommend this facility. 03/18/2016 Housing was approximately 5 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Morningside Country Estates. Housing was located in city of Sioux City. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 1. Should be condemned
- I worked in the Operating Room department(s) in the hospital. I worked in the operating room as a circulator for 13 weeks. The staff is very friendly and accepting of travelers, as are the surgeons (often preferring the experienced traveler over staff). However, the OR at Mercy is very disorganized and led by a manager who is pretty much incompetent. The OR circulators are all brand new to either the OR, or nursing, or both. The staffing in other departments relating to the OR (PACU, Pre-op holding, same day surgery, etc) are so understaffed that often the circulator has to get their room ready, then go wait with the patient in pre-op holding and essentially get the pre-op done as well. I also had to help the PACU staff recover patients and take care of ICU overflow patients in the PACU with the PACU nurses. Sterile processing has no idea what any of the instruments/supplies are when you call for something. The manager is not versed on OR protocol or AORN guidelines (examples being: none of the ORs are positive pressure, manager had to ask what CNOR credential stood for on my ID badge, and their MH emergency cart is labeled malignant hypothermia (I can only assume it is stocked with bair hugger blankets, warm saline, and succinylcholine. The attitude of the OR was very pleasant but there is just a lot of staffing/educational problems at this facility (ICU nurses not knowing what a LMA is when asked by anesthesia to have one available during an emergency intubation). 03/10/2016 Housing was approximately 5 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Morningside Country Estates. Housing was located in city of Sioux City. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 1. The apartment that my company secured for my assignment was abysmal. I can't say enough things about it to convey the level of disgusting. That being said, I'm sure it depends on the travel agency used. Also, most of Sioux City is the same as far as housing goes.
- I worked in the Oncology/ surgery department(s) in the hospital. The staff is rude to travelers that do not fit the mean girl style. The staffing is horrible, and the staff morale is even worse. They cannot keep staff, and they cannot recruit staff. They pay big bucks for travelers, but it is a one term job. 09/01/2015 Housing was approximately 1 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Cedar River Tower. Housing was located in city of Cedar Rapids. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 3. The building is from the 70's and is run by elderly ladies that treat the tenants like children. No dogs allowed. The air system is old, and the windows drafty. It is still a nice view of the river and city, and is secure. There is a theater within walking distance as well as some nice bars and restaurants. Over all a nice place to live.
- I worked in the STICU, MSICU, CSICU department(s) in the hospital. This hospital is going through a lot of changes in management, therefore morale is very low. 07/15/2013 Housing was approximately 3 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was hotel. Housing was located in city of Redding. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 4. Find your own housing.
- Housing was approximately 2.3 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was found private housing. Housing was located in city of Redding. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 3. 07/11/2013 found a cottage to rent on craigslist I worked in the ER department(s) in the hospital. I was hired to help integrate the new computerized charting system (was previously paper). The staff had a hard time accepting change. Everyone seems upset with management. However, I other locations I've worked runs the ER similarly. Again staff just didn't like change. Nurse pt ratio 4:1 and 1:1 for critical patients. Staff was friendly to travelers. Patient volume was only an average of 130 per day. ER has 30 beds. Some ancillary staff but for the most part nurse draw labs, do EKGs and transport patients after 2200pm. I you waited for phlebotomy to draw labs you could be waiting 2 hrs and that isn't acceptable in an ER setting. Overall this wasn't a hard place to work. LOS for patients are long and wait time in lobby was long considering there were 30 beds and only 130 pts per day.
- Constantly short staffed. Often no tech on staff with a 1:6 ratio. The name of the housing complex was River Knolls. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 2. Redding is a beauiful city. Much to see and do. The housing was nice. The manager very accomodating.
- FLoating was not a big problem for me. The times that I DID float, I went to Cardiac Telemetry where the ratio was 1:4. Everyone here was very traveler friendly! I hear the housing situation has really improved there since I was there.
Click here for advertising info